How Do You Get Tonsil Stones?
Knowing What Causes Tonsil Stones Can Help You Cure and Prevent Them
If you have dealt with the inconvenience of tonsil stones before, you must be wondering, “How do you get tonsil stones?” Knowing the answer to this question will lead to your ability to prevent them in the future. This is important because these little things can cause embarrassing bad breath, discomfort in your throat and mouth, and even severe pain, swelling, and infection.
What Are Tonsil Stones? How Do You Get Tonsil Stones?
A tonsil stone is a build up of bacteria, food debris, and excess mucous that hardens and deposits itself in a nook or cranny in your tonsil. It is not dangerous in and of itself, but it can be annoying and can lead to larger health issues, leaving you wondering, how to you get tonsil stones anyway?
Ok, So How Do You Get Tonsil Stones?
There is no one way to get tonsil stones. They occur when debris lodges itself in your tonsils, and this can happen for one or more of the following reasons:
- You are prone to tonsillitis and the swelling in your tonsils trapped bits of food or bacteria where they calcified and became lodged.
- You drink a lot of sugary drinks and bits of sugar residue stuck to your tonsils, attracting additional particles to cluster and harden.
- Your oral hygiene is poor, leaving bits of food in your mouth and throat where they landed and became stuck in a crevice in your tonsil.
However the impurities reach your tonsils, once there, they become a problem. The size of this problem varies, and the question is no longer “how do you get a case of tonsil stones?” but “how do tonsil stones become infected?”
How Do Tonsil Stones Become Infected?
The fact that you have tonsil stones is not necessarily a problem. Those in the health community will tell you that simple tonsil stones are not as dangerous as they are inconvenient. They are easily removed and can even be swept out at home without the help of a doctor.
However, if tonsil stones go unchecked, they can harbor bacteria that can spread and cause pain and inflammation, leading to much larger problems. The stones, themselves, do not become infected, but the tissues of your tonsils, throat, and mouth can become a breeding ground for the bacteria that is encouraged to grow, and long term health risks may occur.
Preventing Tonsil Stones
If you have successfully answered the question, “How do you get tonsil stones?” you have the means to prevent them. Some of the steps are relatively obvious, given the answers you have found:
- Drink lots of water and avoid sugary drinks.
- Practice good oral hygiene on a regular basis.
- If you are prone to tonsillitis, seek treatment for inflammation as soon as the symptom appears.
There are additional steps you can take to prevent tonsil stones:
- Use an oral irrigation device to clean your throat as a regular part of your oral hygiene regime.
- Brush your teeth with an oxygenating toothpaste and use an oxygenating mouthwash; they are both effective in killing dangerous germs and bacteria.
Answering the question, “How do you get tonsil stones?” will give the answers to “How do you prevent and rid yourself of tonsil stones?”